Hebrews 4:12

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Afraid

So I turned on the computer this morning and got an error message about the keyboard not being found, so I unplugged it and plugged it back in and continued on, but it still wasn't working. So I opened up the computer and found the dust to be pretty thick in there, so I went out to get some air in a can to dust it off, and to find a car wash to clean the salt and such off of the van from the New York snowy winter roads. Anyway, I went to Wal-Mart first and they were all out, so I ended up at Staples and got what I needed, but I was still a little concerned that the problem was with the keyboard and not a result of the dust buildup in the computer, so I started looking at keyboards. Now, I have an old keyboard from my old computer (it's a nice ergonomic one) that won't plug into this computer, so it's been in a box in the closet for years. So, while I was looking at the keyboards, something else caught my eye, the rack of adapters. At this point I have to say, I've looked for adapters for this purpose for years, I've tried at least three different Radio Shack's and some other computer stores, but never found what I needed, which I always thought was strange, but there it was right in front of me. So, even though it's taking a little time to get used to it again, I've got the old keyboard hooked up, and all is well.


Anyway, about the subject of the post, while we were up North for Christmas, the kids were all sleeping in my niece's room, all snug in their sleeping bags, and loving it. Well, for the most part. My Son, who is four, and his cousin, who is three, were fine, but my daughter who is eight was scared because the room was so dark at night, and she wanted to move and sleep in between the other two, but there simply wasn't room for that. So my Son turned his sleeping bag around so that if his sister got too scared she would be able to reach out and hold his hand. I mean, come on, how sweet is that?!!

Of course, I reminded her that when she is scared all she really has to do is to pray, and that God is always there, and even if we can't see what is around us, He can. Joshua 1:9 says, "Have not I commanded thee? Be Strong and of a good Courage, be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed, for The Lord thy God is with thee, wither soever thou goest." So, even though fear is a normal human thing, it's something that we don't need as long as we rely on God.

Vacation was great though, and, as shocking as this may be to some, I really didn't pay much, if any, attention to politics while I was gone. I'm sure I will now, especially since this will be a big political year, but it was good to have the time off from that as well. Of course, I also look forward to the distraction this summer of the Olympics, as that should take some of the focus of what is certain to be an intense political season, no matter who the nominees are. I always seem to enjoy the summer Olympics.

On another note, with the writers strike in full swing, and most of the network shows lingering about in re-runs, I'm thinking that this is going to be a really good year for places such as the History Channel and Discovery Channel, in fact Discovery has quite a lineup of new and returning shows this Winter and Spring that shouldn't be affected by the strike in any way, if Discovery would be anyway, which I don't know about. If you haven't checked out any of the new shows, you should go to www.discovery.com and do so, I'm pretty sure you will find it to be worth your time.

2 comments:

Gary Durbin said...

Yes. I agree. I'm already getting hooked on the History Channel. I recorded "The history barbeque" the other day. That should be a great wealth of useless knowledge.

Matt W. said...

Actually, I think I've watched that before. It may be useless knowledge, but seeing how much I love BBQ I have to say that I enjoyed it immensely. Besides, it will be good to know someone besides myself who knows the differance between BBQ and grilling.