Hebrews 4:12

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Monday, January 28, 2008

Weasel Endorsement

Florida's Weasel of a pretend Republican Governor is at it again. This time endorsing John McCain, another pretend Republican, for the Republican nomination for President. Please note that the term weasel is applied solely to Crist and not to McCain. McCain is no kind of Republican, but he is respectable in that he hasn't really pretended to be something that he's not, other than a Republican, and he is a true American hero, and therefore deserves respect, just not votes. Crist on the other hand is a pretender (and a weasel) who rode into the office of the Governor of our great state on the coat tails of Jeb Bush, a truly great man and great Governor. Since his election, Crist has done very little to honor the trust that was placed in him, and much to disgrace the great man that he followed into office. Hopefully Republicans will see this and we will have a good solid Republican leader to step up and crush Governor Weasel... errr... Crist in the Gubernatorial Primary in two years... but I digress.

Do we really need to know anything about McCain beyond the fact that he was endorsed by the ultra-liberal, outrageously far left radical rag, The New York Times? And do we need to know anything more about Crist than that he is in agreement with the New York Times? I don't think so.

Tomorrow is that day that Floridians will vote for their pick for the Presidential nominees, and my guess is that Romney will take the Republican side. Obviously I don't know for sure, and this is not a prediction, only a guess. I base this on the fact that McCain has only carried the primaries that he has so far because independents, and in some cases Democrats, were able to vote in the Republican Primary. This is not the case in Florida, nor should it be, this is not the general election, and each party should nominate it's own candidate without interference from uncommitted persons, or the opposition party. With dems voting, it's no wonder McCain has pulled off some victories. Also, despite what some in the media would have you believe, I think that a lot of Thompsons supporters will vote for Romney, not Huckabee. And Guiliani is doing very poorly in the polls right now, looking at a hard fight just to finish third. Therefore I am guessing that Romney will take the pot of gold that is the Florida Primary.

Truly the Florida Primary is a pot of gold, being one week before Super Tuesday, a victory here gives a candidate a lot of momentum moving into other big states. Florida is also a big state with a lot of delegates at stake, and unlike many other states, it is a winner take all state, with the first place finisher getting all the delegates and second place getting treated badly.

As for Guiliani, if you have paid any attention to the Republicans in the election cycle at all, you have almost certainly heard him talk about having been appointed by Reagan, and having worked for Reagan. Well, as luck would have it, I just finished reading "The Reagan Diaries" this morning, and found something absolutely delicious on page 618, in the entry for Tuesday, June 14th of 1988. Reagan writes, "And Guiliani (U.S. Attorney) is talking of drawing up an indictment against Marcos. I think he's crazy." (Bold Mine.) So there you have it, Reagan thought Guiliani was crazy!! How great is that!??! Ok, I admit, he's only talking in reference to one issue, but I still think it's great. I nearly laughed myself silly upon reading that line. I understand why Rudy hasn't used that in his stump speech, but I do wonder why no one in the media, or one of his opponents, hasn't latched onto it yet. To me, it's too much fun to pass up.

On a completely different, and non-political note, today marks the 22nd anniversary of the Space Shuttle Challenger Disaster. In his diary for that day President Reagan writes, "A day we'll remember for the rest of our lives." ... "Then I was getting a briefing for a meeting I was to have with network anchors--an advance on the St. of the Union address scheduled for tonight. In came Poindexter & the V.P. with the news the shuttle Challenger had blown up on takeoff. We all then headed for a TV & saw the explosion re-played. From then on there was only one subject--the death of the 6 crew & 1 passenger--Mrs. McAuliffe, the teacher who had won the right to make the flight. There is no way to describe our shock & horror. We cancelled--I should say postponed the St. of the Union address til next week. Cong. closed down for the day." I think it important that we never forget those who died that day.

Also, tonight is President Bush's final State of the Union address. Regardless of who wins the Presidency this year, this will be the final time that George W. Bush will be giving this address, as he has less than one year left in office. While I don't count myself amongst his strong supporters, I do wish him the best in this final year, and hope that he will lead our nation well, and hand the incoming president some real progress to build on.

3 comments:

Christinewjc said...

Hi Matt,

It is looking more and more like Mitt Romney will end up being the Republican nominee.

I ran across an article that I thought you might like to read:

McCain Presidency Would Be a Disaster

I haven't even read it yet! But I do recall that he had quite the temper back in 2000 when Bush won the nomination over him. McCain seems to have kept his temper out of the public eye this time around. But insiders know better!

That's funny to read that Reagan thought Guiliani was "crazy." That video of him dressed up in women's clothes, a wig, and makeup kissing Donald Trump sealed my non-vote decision against him for good! heh heh

Seriously, his liberal policies on social issues immediately eliminated him from consideration by me.

Have you noticed that ever since Rudy got that endorsement from Pat Robertson, his support has gone downhill? Guess it backfired. Trying to get some evangelical Christian votes by having Robertson publically endorse him was the kiss of death for his candidacy!

Christinewjc said...

Just read the article. This part is especially chilling:

While McCain clearly has formidable supporters, and his stand on the Iraq war was admirable, those who have dealt with him over the years have been appalled by his outbursts of temper, a character trait the media have largely ignored.


In endorsing Romney, Republican Sen. Thad Cochran of Mississippi, who has known McCain for more than three decades, said his choice was prompted partly by his fear of how McCain might behave in the Oval Office.


“The thought of his being president sends a cold chill down my spine,” Cochran said about McCain. “He is erratic. He is hotheaded. He loses his temper, and he worries me.”


“He [McCain] would disagree about something and then explode,” said former Sen. Bob Smith, a fellow Republican who served with McCain on various committees. “[There were] incidents of irrational behavior. We’ve all had incidents where we have gotten angry, but I’ve never seen anyone act like that.”


When someone who has known McCain for 30 years thinks that he doesn't have the temperament for it, you know it would be a mistake to have him in the Oval Office.

Look at all of the personal attacks that Bush has endured for the past 7 years! Would McCain ever be able to brush that off and lead this nation? I doubt it.

Matt W. said...

Christine, thanks for the comments. Sitting here watching the returns come in is horrifying to me. I really did think Romney would win Florida, but of course, he did not. Personally I think that there are a lot of reasons why a McCain Presidency would be a disaster, but his temper is certainly at or near the top of that list. We can only hope he pulls out Howard Dean and knocks himself out of the race. I'm not saying Romney would be best, just that he looks like he would be the best of what is left.

I think Giuliani would have gone down based on his own flawed strategy in any case... too bad Robertson didn't endorse McCain. :o)

It's funny, but Huckabee still seems very confident that he will pull out the nomination. I really don't think so, but hey, we can see how my last guess turned out.

I also keep seeing them on Fox News saying that Crist is very popular and that Flroidians adore him, and I'm going "HUH???!??!" I don't personally know anyone (and remember I live in Florida) who has any love or repsect of any kind for him. Maybe he's well liked amongst the liberal Republicans who voted for McCain, but he's not too popular around here.

Interestingly, according to Rush Limbaugh, and I don't know if there's really any truth to it, there were independents showing up and making a fuss and being allowed to vote in the GOP primary, which is illegal under Florida Law as it is closed Primary state, and you are not allowed to change affilliation within 29 days of the election. Again, I don't know if this is true, but it does seem suspect that this is something that would work in the favor of the candidate being endorsed by the Governor. At least I think so. Of course, I have my doubts that it would have amounted to 95,000 votes, but still, it's worth looking at, and so far, I don't see the media paying any attention.