Hebrews 4:12

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Doctored

A little while ago I made some reference to Dr. Phil getting himself some scorn for going to see Brittany Spears and then talking to the press about her. Apparently some in California want to add some trouble to the scorn.

From a news story that I read, since Dr. Phil is not licensed to practice in California, they want to charge him first off with practicing medicine without a license, even though, according to him, all the did was visit her and talk to her, and it was not a counseling session. He says he was there as a friend to the family. Anyway, it takes another twist, because he talked to the press they want to charge him also with violating Dr.-Patient privilege. At this point I'm a little confused. Aren't the two mutually exclusive? If he couldn't be there as a Dr. because he can't practice in that state, can he really be held to any sort of Dr.-Patient privilege? I just don't see how you could charge him with both at the same time.

I think that there is more to this however. I think that some of these people just don't like the guy. On top of all of the above nonsense, they also want to either ban his show from the airwaves in California, or to have a disclaimer placed in the front of it that the advice dispensed by Dr. Phil is contrary to what a licensed Psychologist might tell you. That's why I say that it would seem that those people just plain don't like him. It's really too bad that some people try to abuse power to force other people to go along with their own personal likes and dislikes.

For myself, I've watched Dr. Phil before, but I don't care too much about watching his show. Honestly though, I think that it's the people that he has on that bug me more than he does. Actually, a lot of the advice he gives isn't half bad. Mostly he talks about common sense ideals and taking responsibility for a persons own actions. That being said, I don't agree with all the advice I've heard him give, and most of the people that he has on his show are so idiotic, and have such nonsensical problems that you just want to smack them instead of listening to them whine and drone on and on about their nonsensical problems.

I even read one of his books once. It was the one on weight loss, and again, it wasn't half bad. Basically he took a common sense approach, and told everyone to be smart and make the correct decisions, but he did it in such a way as to make it more interesting, and he probably helped a lot of people with that book.

Like I said, I don't care much for watching his show personally, but I also don't think it's right to try to force other people not to watch it just because you don't like his style, or the advice he gives.

Isn't it time that some people grow up?

And yes, I understand that I have hit an all time low, blogging about Dr. Phil... I am ashamed... Ok, so not really.

1 comment:

Christinewjc said...

Dr. Phil is such a phony!!

Nuff said.