Hebrews 4:12

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Predictions

I'm talking today about predictions as they relate to Presidential politics. Don't worry, I'm not in the business of making predictions of my own, but since I find them to be hysterically funny at times, I think I need to address them here today. Besides, yesterday was the New Hampshire Primary, which I probably would have talked about today in any case.

When the whole Primary season started all the predictions were that Hillary was going to be the Democratic nominee, and that was all there was to it. For my part, I simply maintained, as I still do, that Hillary could be the nominee, but it's not certain. Following Obama's big win in Iowa, the media and pundits started calling him the obvious nominee, and were ready to count Hillary out completely. However, now that she thumped Obama fairly good in New Hampshire, the media is all back on board the Hillary bus. The fact is that either of them could still easily win the nomination. About the only prediction I would feel comfortable making on the Democrat side is that John Edwards (or any of the others) don't have a shot at all. The Democratic side of this Presidential primary may well be only a two way race, but it really is a race, and either one of them could take it.

On the Republican side, the predictions have already gone around quite a bit. Some have said since the beginning that Giuliani was a sure thing, even though he hasn't made a showing in any of the primaries so far, the media, with all the bias they can muster, is making it clear that they still think he can win. On the other hand, many have said that Mitt Romney would be the one to beat, but now that he has come in second in both Iowa and New Hampshire, they are already ready to declare his campaign dead in the water (and mostly you don't even hear that he won in Wyoming, if you even hear that Wyoming Republicans held their Caucus at all) but I think it may well be a little early to count him out as well. After all, it needs to be considered that, even though he didn't win in either State, he was also not beaten by the same person in both States. Huckabee, who beat him in Iowa, came in a distant 3rd in New Hampshire, while McCain, who beat him in New Hampshire, came in 4th in Iowa, meanwhile, Romney did win in Wyoming. I understand that Second place finishes and victories in small states may not be the dream of any candidate, but it hardly puts him out of the running. Besides, as I said earlier, Giuliani has been performing so poorly that he might as well not have shown up in any of the states so far, and they are still talking about him as a major player, could it be because he is a media darling? Of course it is, they love him as a liberal. Fred Thompson also has not made much of a showing so far, though he's done better than Giuliani in some States, but they are ready to count him out too. Fred may be a long shot, but I don't think he should be counted out either. Huckabee, on the other hand, having a strong victory in Iowa still being downplayed as someone who doesn't have a shot... of course, these are the same people who said that he didn't have a shot in Iowa either, so, just maybe, we shouldn't put too much trust in their analysis. They are willing, however, to say that McCain might be able to pull it off, even though it's always been my feeling that McCain doesn't have a shot at all, I will say, I could be wrong, but I still don't think so at this point, and a single win in New Hampshire doesn't sway me from that opinion. Of all the Republican contenders, Ron Paul, and (sadly) Duncan Hunter are the only ones I would consider to be completely out of it at this point, other than them, the field is still wide open, and pretty much anything could happen.

My point, of course, is that we really shouldn't listen to the people who are telling us what WILL happen, because, the fact is, they don't know any better than we do.

There are things surfacing about Barack Obama that people really need to be aware of. I'm not going to rehash them here however, but I will point you to a place where you can get pretty much all the information you could want on that subject. Just go to http://talkwisdom.blogspot.com/2008/01/is-obama-really-christian.html and read it for yourself, it will be well worth it.

1 comment:

Christinewjc said...

Thanks for sharing the link to my post about Obama. I really think that people need to be made aware of this guy's motives, ideology, political worldview, and past.

The more I learn about him, the more his liberal-left Marxist types of ideas for "change" that he wants to bring about in America chills me to the bone. It's certainly not the America that I envision.