Hebrews 4:12

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Is It Just Me?

I don't know if it's just me, if I'm cynical, or if my brain is wired a little funny, but I don't always respond to things they way that others would expect me to.

My first example of this starts with a wonderful story that I got by email the other day. It was meant to be powerful, and to convey a strong point, and it did just fine... that's just not how it struck me. Before I share the story, let me just say, I did understand what was being said, and I get the point of the story, but after I share the story, I'll tell you what my reactions were.

"There was a blind girl who hated herself because she was blind.She hated everyone, except her loving boyfriend. He was always there for her.She told her boyfriend, ' If I could only see the world, I will marry you.'One day, someone donated a pair of eyes to her. When the bandages came off, she was able to see everything, including her boyfriend.He asked her,'Now that you can see the world, will you marry me?'The girl looked at her boyfriend and saw that he was blind. The sight of his closed eyelids shocked her. She hadn't expected that. The thought of looking at them the rest of her life led her to refuse to marry him.Her boyfriend left her in tears and days later wrote a note to her saying: 'Take good care of your eyes, my dear, for before they were yours, they were mine.' "
*
Honestly, the very first thought in my mind when I read this was, "There's no Doctor in the world who would agree to that!" (That is to say, agree to do the surgery to take the mans eyes and give them to the woman.) Then, right on the heels of that thought was this gem, "Why didn't the Moron just give her one eye?" Right? I mean, then they could both see, and live happily every after.
*
A different story, and this one is a true story, I read about it on FoxNews.com last night, a Polish man visited a brothel, not something I condone in any event, especially for a married man, which this man was, and got the shock of his life. You see, he found his Wife working there! They have reportedly filed for divorce... I wonder why?
*
Can you imagine trying to explain this to the judge?
*
Judge: So, you want to divorce you wife?
*
Husband: Yes, your Honor.
*
J: And why do you want this divorce?
*
H: She was working in a Brothel!!
*
J: Oh, that's gotta sting. How did you learn that your wife was working in a Brothel?
*
H: I found her there, saw her with my very own eyes!
*
J: And what were you doing there?
*
H: Well, I was there as customer.
*
Judge shakes his head and grants the divorce.
*
Sometimes truth really is crazier than fiction.
*
On another note, Dr. Phil is under fire for "exploiting" the Britney Spears situation. I guess he went to see her, thinking that maybe he could help her turn her life around and get on a better track, and, after talking to her, held a press conferences. I don't know what he had to say, and honestly I don't care. I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to find someone who cares less about the Britney nonsense than I do. Where I find this funny is the idea that Dr. Phil needs to exploit any situation. I mean, he's not as big as Oprah or anything, but he's not hurting for loyal adherents. Also, wouldn't it be hard to exploit Spears? She's based her entire life on exploiting every part of her body and personality and whatever else that she can. And what is her family upset about? They had no problem with exploitation when she was raking in the money, and she's been destructive to herself for years now. Even if Dr. Phil wants to use this on his show, but maybe he can really help her, why not let him?
*
On a very serious note, and something that I really do care about. I want to encourage everyone to spend time in prayer for all of the people who have been affected by all the tornadoes across the country this week. I've been listening to Fox News while I've been typing this post today, and apparently one hit an Elementary School in Mississippi just a short time ago, and, after that, another one touched down all the way up in Washington State, and there is also flooding in areas, and plenty of severe weather to go around. We need to pray for the people all over the country who have been affected by this.

No comments: