Hebrews 4:12

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Monday, May 19, 2008

Prince Caspian (NO SPOILERS!)

Last night my wife and I took the kids, along with some friends kids, to see the new Narnia movie; The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian.

First let me say, what a great movie. I'm sure a lot of people are asking the question, "How does it compare to the first movie?" And I would answer that you can't really compare them, they are both great movies, but they are different.

I should also say at this point that I have never read the Narnia books, so I cannot offer any thoughts on that matter. I did hear an interview with the Producer on Focus on the Family and he said that there are some big differences, but they had no choice if they wanted to put the story on the big screen.

From the standpoint of just watching a movie, I have to say, I really enjoyed it. It is a big movie, being two and a half hours long, but it doesn't feel that long. It's a fast paced story that keeps things moving, and is utterly enjoyable, just from a basic entertainment standpoint, but there is a lot more to it than that.

As a thinker, I saw a lot of deeper truths in the movie, a lot of moral lessons that parents can take advantage of in explaining to their kids after the movie is over. In fact, we had one of those discussions as we were leaving the theater. My daughter asked about a very tense moment in the movie (I'm being careful not to give anything away) and it gave me the chance, which I took, to explain the lesson to her.

There is a lot more stuff I'd like to say about this movie, but I really am committed not to giving any spoilers here, because I don't want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

I welcome comments on this movie, but I have to warn you, I will not post any comments that contain spoilers, so just be careful about that.

My opinion though is that it's a great movie, and I highly recommend that you see it. I also did not find it to be inappropriate for kids at all. My son is 4 and my daughter 8, and there were no issues with either of them seeing it, and yet, it's a great movie for adults too, with some deeper meanings that the kids may not pick up on, but as I said before, we could still explain many of these things to our kids, and that would be a good thing.

No comments: