Hebrews 4:12

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Thursday, February 28, 2008

The Truth War

Last week I read a book called "The Truth War: Fighting for Certainty in an Age of Deception" by John MacArthur. Another truly phenomenal book.

It took me some time to figure out what I was going to say about this book for the simple reason that it would be very easy for people to get the wrong idea about this book, and that is the last thing that I want to happen with it.

This book is written to Christians. It deals with false teachings and false doctrine within the Church, and how Christians need to respond to it. MacArthur is very clear, he is not talking about starting a huge battle over every minor disagreement. He is talking about confronting and rebuking what can only be described as attacks on the Truth of God, teachings that, if accepted, would invalidate the entire message of the Gospel, and worst of all, destroy the Church's ability to win Souls to Christ.

Jude 3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

Jude 4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.

You can see here that Jude intended to write a happy letter, talking about how great Salvation is, but the Holy Spirit moved in his heart and inspired him to write about standing up against false teaching, and fighting for the Truth of God.

I'm not going to try to explain the book here, I just don't want people to get the wrong idea about it. MacArthur is not trying to start fights within the Church, he is trying to show Christians that we need to be united for the Truth. I do feel that all Christians should read this book. It has given me much to think about, and awakened me to the fact that I need to spend more time reading God's Word, and give more attention to the things of God, instead of so much of my time and attention to politics. That's not to say that I won't pay any attention to Politics, but I need to put a lot more of my focus on the things that really matter.

*************

Forgot to add, again, thanks to Christine over at TalkWisdom for recommending this book to me.

1 comment:

jb said...

I will have to read that. I like John MacArthur and the un-truths being spread about the Gospel has been very heavy on my heart lately. In fact, Buzz's message at Biker Worship Center this month was on false prophets, false teachings and distinguishing the Truth from fiction...
jb