Hebrews 4:12

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Friday, December 12, 2008

The Broken Gun

I have always been a big fan of the books of Louis L'Amour. In fact, he's the author that go me into reading in a big way. When I was in about the 5th or 6th grade, I had no interest in reading whatsoever, to the point that my Dad actually asked my teacher if I could read OK, and she said, yes, he reads well, but he has to find something that interests him. So Dad said, well I've got a lot of Louis L'Amour books, and Matt does like Westerns, would those be OK? and the Teacher told him that even though they were adult books, she had read some and knew they were wholesome stories, with good themes and very little in the way of swearing and such, so, if it would get me reading, then she thought it was a good idea. A voracious reader was born.

So, the other day I ran across "The Broken Gun" and realized that I had never read this particular book, and, not having another book going at that moment, decided to go ahead and give it a read. As it turns out, it was another great book. This one is a rarity in that it's not set in the old west, but rather in the west in the 1960's, and yet he makes a convincing frontier story, and yet another book that you don't want to put down.

This one is about, of all things, a western author who gets caught up in a 90 year old land dispute, and the fast paced story keeps you reading, and as normal for L'Amour, makes you really want to know what is going to happen next.

If you're looking for a good novel that's not going to take all that long to read, and has a good, enjoyable story where the good guys and the bad guys are clearly defined, and the hero is a hero indeed, I suggest you go ahead and read, "The Broken Gun" by Louis L'Amour.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Guess I'll have to look for it and put it on my "to read" list. Thanks for the suggestion. I think I really got interested in reading by being introduced to Louis L'Amour by your Dad (surprise!). He does write good down-to-earth stories.

Love, Mom