Hebrews 4:12

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Parking Humor

I went to the Gym this morning, and it was crazy busy there. I guess I should pick a better time of day next time. Anyway, I just parked a couple of rows out and way down on the end, and got out of the car to walk to the Gym. It struck me as pretty funny, as I was walking across the Parking lot, how many people were competing for the few spots that were opening up closer to the building. At first I thought that maybe they were going to a different place than they gym. After all, there is a physical therapy place right next door in the plaza, and I could understand why people going there might need a close parking spot, but as I watched, no, they went to the gym.

I couldn't help but find it funny that these same people who are inside going at their workouts just as fast and furious as can be, would virtually kill for a spot five feet closer to the building.

To be fair, and a bit more serious, this probably has more to do with our culture than it does with not being willing to walk. We have a very "me" centered, very fast paced culture. First of all, we are conditioned from the time we are very young to think that closer parking spots are better parking spots, and after all, don't "I" deserve the best? Don't I have the "right" to have the "best" available parking spot all for myself?

And as to the second part, I'm sure most people view going to the gym they same way that they view most everything else in life, which is with regard to how it will fit into their schedules. So often we have so much to do (other people usually more so than me) that we have to try to squeeze things in where ever we can. So that little extra walk across the parking lot could be the difference between getting to their next appointment, or whatever, on time or a few minutes late. And don't we all have the right to get the parking place that keeps us on schedule?

For the most part we are all so accustomed to this type of behavior that we consider it to be human nature, rather than a cultural abnormality. Of course, if you look at most of the rest of the world, you would find that there are very few cultures like ours. I'm not suggesting that they are doing everything right, while we are doing it all wrong, but maybe there is something to be learned from the idea of slowing down and enjoying life a little more rather than the full tilt, dead run, go, go, go!!! culture that we currently find ourselves in.

The whole thing is a little funny, but at the same time, maybe it bears some thinking about.

No comments: