Hebrews 4:12

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Medical Marijuana

I have heard quite a few mentions recently regarding the whole controversy over medical marijuana, as they call it, even though it is, in fact, just regular marijuana being used as a medicine.

To be totally honest, I don't see why this should be such a controversial issue. I guess the reason that it is so, is primarily due to the fact that the entire issue has been so horribly mismanaged.

Let's take a brief look at what they have done in California. Basically, the supposed medical marijuana laws there were designed as an end run around laws that designate pot as an illegal drug. In California, you go to a special "Doctor" or clinic or something to get the "Prescription" and then have it "filled" at some sort of "Special Pharmacy" which is little different from an opium den of old.

Now, for me, I don't really object to marijuana being used for medicinal purposes, but I do object to the way that California has done this, basically with a wink and a nod, to allow any old stoner to be able to get their pot in a "legal" way.

The way I think that it should be handled is basically that if there is real merit to the entire idea, then the Prescription should be written by a real Doctor, the Marijuana should be produced under controlled conditions by actual Pharmaceutical companies, and dispensed by actual Pharmacies. That, to me, would make this a legitimate deal, and not just a way to skirt the laws, which, I think, are in place for very good reasons.

No comments: