Hebrews 4:12

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Seven Pounds

This weekend we went and saw the new movie with Will Smith titled "Seven Pounds." Even after seeing the movie we couldn't figure out what the "pounds" part was about, apparently it's an obscure reference to Shakespeare. Perhaps not so obscure if you give a hoot about Shakespeare, but as I don't, I'm calling it obscure. Anyway, it was a good movie, and an interesting, and somewhat moving story... but LONG! I'm not just saying that because it's 2 hours long, I've set through 3 hour movies that didn't feel nearly as long as this one. But I'm not sure everyone felt that way.

I guess the problem for me is simply that the movie is supposed to be suspenseful, with the audience not understanding what is going on. For me though, I suspected what the plot was when I saw the TV spot, and it was confirmed for me in the opening moments of the film, so, without the suspense, it was a VERY LONG, yet still good, just long, movie.

At one point, I figured we had to be getting close to the end, so I stole a look at my cell phone and realized that we were only about half way through... did I mention it was long?

I can't really tell you anything about the movie, because, to tell anything is to give away everything, as far as I'm concerned, but I will say that I found it very interesting. The actions of the main character do not fit with a Christian Worldview, which would be my worldview, and so, from that angle, it really was a very interesting movie. Seeing what this man was doing, and felt that he had to do, and pitting that against what would be the appropriate actions for a Christian gave me a lot to think about.

Really, this was a good movie, and I enjoyed it... for a really really long time. I did stay awake for the entire (extremely long) movie, so that tells you that it wasn't boring... just long. But, if you don't see what's coming, you might find that it doesn't feel as long to you as it did to me, either way, I think you would enjoy it, I know I did.

No comments: