Hebrews 4:12

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Monday, October 6, 2008

Fireproof


We went with our Small Group last night to see the new movie "Fireproof". This is a Christian movie from the creators of "Facing The Giants" and starring Kirk Cameron.

First, yeah, some of the acting was a little sub-par, though Kirk Cameron's performance was phenomenal, but then, he's an actor by trade, so I guess you would expect that. Really though, most of the actors were decent, but then, most of the really good, not to mention big name actors, make more money for a part than the entire budget for this movie, so, I guess you have to cut them some slack there also, but really the acting was better than I had expected it to be, so, no complaints. As for the production quality, again, considering the budget, I think they did a very good job.

As to the story, which is the really important part after all, I thought it was excellent. Admittedly, it's a little preachy in places, but when you are really trying to get a message across, I guess you go to great lengths to make it unmissable (is that a word?). After all, if you really made the movie to send a message and have an impact, do you really want to take the chance that the very people that you most want to catch the message are going to miss it? Or to leave enough room for them to fill in the blanks with their own theories or some of the misguided "Theology" that's floating around in our culture today? I don't think you would.

We live in a culture today of disposable marriages, based on the idea that if it doesn't work out, we'll just scrap it and try again on down the road. This is never what marriage was supposed to be about, and that point is made clearly in the movie, along with a very strong and in your face presentation of the Gospel, which is why I said it's kinda preachy, which I might have meant as a criticism before I gave it a little more thought. If we spend so much time being afraid to give the Gospel, then no wonder it's not getting out.

I think that most any Christian would really enjoy this movie, and I would encourage all Christians to go see it. As for Non-Christians, I think they can enjoy it too, but I wouldn't go gather all your non-Christian friends and drag them to go see it, they will probably resent it, as strong as it, if they feel you're trying to force it on them. On the other hand, there is no problem with recommending it to them, it's a wonderful story, or with inviting them to see it with you, as long as you don't misrepresent it. And if anyone tells you that they are thinking of seeing it, just be honest, it's a good movie (it would help to see it yourself before saying this however) and can be enjoyed by anyone.

I think this is a good movie, and strongly recommend it. I hope you all go to see it and that you enjoy it as much as I did.

No comments: