Hebrews 4:12

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

An American Carol

Yesterday I took myself to the movies. An overall enjoyable experience. A theater with just myself and a bunch of old people, none of whom dared venture closer than three rows from the top, leaving the back row for me, and allowing me to be as comfortable as I pleased. I enjoyed it so much, in fact, that I may do it again at some point, when there is a movie I want to see that nobody else really cares about, but next time, maybe I'll take enough money for popcorn.

Anyway, I saw the new flick, "An American Carol" a rabidly, and I would say, awesomely, pro-American film, loosely based on the ever popular play, "A Christmas Carol." It's a very satirical film, and quite funny. A little over the top in places, but I think that was the point, and not something to take the kids to.

In all though, it was great to leave the theater having been reminded of many of the reasons why America is such a great nation. I was somewhat amazed at how a spoof film, poking fun at one of the most rabid anti-American film-makers of our day, could renew such a sense of hope about the future, by looking to the past. Underlying the humor there is a very serious message in this movie. One that I don't think you can miss when you see it.

I enjoyed this movie a lot, on many levels, and would recommend that any adult go ahead and see it, just be advised, there is some foul language (not bad by today's standards at all) and, as I said, some stuff is a little over the top, but a great movie, none the less. Go ahead, treat yourself, you'll be glad you did.

1 comment:

Gary Durbin said...

My family is out of town this week, so I might have to go watch something I actually want to see for a change...lately, most of the movies I've seen in the theaters have talking dogs. I've gotta break that pattern when I can.