Hebrews 4:12

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Monday, December 10, 2007

"O" Please

What do you think the chances are that Oprah's endorsement of Obama is not racially motivated? I suppose it's possible that it's not, but it sure seems fishy doesn't it?

The fact of the matter is that I used to have a measure of respect of Oprah, but no longer. She knows how much power she wields with her viewers, and she has made a conscious choice to use that power and influence to try to cause her legions of followers to vote for Obama. This is quite a difference from a movie star, or some other such person, who influence very few people enough to get them to change their votes. Oprah has an empire centered around her ability to get people to do whatever she tells them to do. She says to read a book, and they spend money to buy the book, and they all read it, she says someone can be trusted, and they all trust that person. What she is doing now is actually reprehensible, and it doesn't matter who she is endorsing.

OK, so here's how I see it. A very large portion of Oprah's audience are women, which makes perfect sense given the type of issues she often addresses on her show, and the format of her show, and other parts of her empire. Also, quite a few of these women are not politically astute, that is to say, they don't care about politics, and often don't bother to vote. The big thing that Oprah offers by entering the political arena is that when she tells her minions to vote, they will, the same way they rush to do her bidding on all other things. And they will certainly vote for whomever she instructs them to.

To be clear, and hopefully avoid some accusations, I'm not saying that these women are stupid, or that they are not able to think for themselves. In fact, I'm sure that a vast majority of them are intelligent women who are more than capable of coming to their own conclusions, unfortunately, they don't. They are so accustomed to letting Oprah tell them what to do, and what to think, that they will have no problem following along when she talks about Mr. B. Hussein Obama.

I'm not questioning that Oprah thinks that Obama would be the best choice for President, though I do have some questions as to whether or not she's being honest with herself about why she thinks that, but that doesn't give her the right to order her hoards of faithful followers to join in his campaign and elect him to office.

Oprah says that she believes that Obama has a bold new vision for America, but that's not really true. His vision may be fairly bold, but it's not really new. People of his political stripe have been trying to turn the USA into a weak, marginalized, Communist state for decades. As scary as this is to say, Hillary's vision for America is actually probably a little less frightening than Obama's. At least in Hillary's quest for personal power, she wants to hold onto the might of the USA to assure her own power in the world. I'm not sure Obama's that savvy.

I know that so far I have spent most of my time on the Republican side of things, and there is a very good reason for that. Since I am a Republican, I am trying to decide for myself who is the one to vote for to be the Republican nominee, and so that is what I have been writing about, but sometimes things come up on the Democratic side that I don't feel I can ignore, and besides, the Primaries will be over soon, and there will be two people running in the major parties, and then I'm sure I'll have a lot to say about the Democrats. Of course, if Giuliani gets the nod, you can follow my quest to find a good third party candidate to vote for in the General election.

It is my opinion that celebrities should keep their mouths shut, and realize that there is no reason for us to care what they say about the people running for political office, or the issues of the day, but when they are of the stature of Oprah, it goes double.

4 comments:

Christinewjc said...

Hi Matt,

Great post!

As I was making coffee this morning, Fox News had a new poll up that asked the question, "Would Oprah's endorsement of Obama influence you to change your own voting decision and cause you to vote for him?"

The poll answers:

Yes = 1%
No = 29%
Won't change it = 80%

I also heard that the 35,000 people who showed up at the Obama political rally were not the typical people that would be labeled as her T.V. show fans; but I wonder how they could have measured that. An exit poll/questionnaire?

If the audience at the rally truly was different than the Oprah show audience, maybe there is a disconnect there.

I don't watch her show so I wonder whether or not she is constantly using her show to endorse him? Or, did she just discuss it when he appeared on her show a while back?

It is scary to say that Hillary is less scary than Obama. Perhaps a lot of Democrats feel that if she wins the presidency (God FORBID!), then their beloved Bill Clinton would be back in the White House so he could wreak more havoc and scandal!!

EEWWW!!!!

Matt W. said...

I'm truly thrilled to hear that a majority of people won't be swayed, but I question the validity of the poll only because the people most likely to be swayed by her are probably about the least likely to have much, if anything, to do with Fox News.

Honestly, I don't know if she is using her show to thump for Obama, however, those who follow her, tend to follow her everywhere she goes. So, in the end, it doesn't really matter, if she's out there saying it, it would seem that her minions will be there, eager to do her bidding.

Perhaps O'Reilly hit it most squarely on the head when he said that one of the biggest things about Oprah is that her fans see her as a friend more than anything else, and who can't trust what their good friend tells them?

Christinewjc said...

Oops. I made a mistake in the "no" category. It should read "19%"

Yeah. Polls are often untrustworthy.

Oprah's audience might even be people who are least likely to care about going out to the polls and voting anyway! Doesn't she have a fairly young female crowd following?

Well...being in the aging "baby boomer" generation everyone seems "young" to me these days! lol

Matt W. said...

Honestly, I don't think her audience is all that young, perhaps middle age, but certainly female. I really hope you are right, and that they won't care enough to go to the polls... sad as that is to say, since I ussually say everyone should vote, but I also think everyone should take the time to evaluate the candidates for themselves, and not go on someone else's recomendation. Then again, maybe it would better if Obama got the nomination, he's loony enough that Ron Paul could probably beat him! :o)