Hebrews 4:12

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Monday, November 12, 2007

Endorsements

Today it was learned that the National Right to Life Committee is endorsing Fred Thompson for President. I guess they heard that his Senate voting record is 100% pro life. Some have questioned just how authentic this position is, and how committed he is to it, but, hey, if Rudy Giuliani can tell people to judge him by his record, then it should go for Fred Thompson also.

This is something that should give Pat Robertson some pause, since he just endorsed Giuliani. Of course, Robertson has become less relevant recently. I'm not saying that he's a bad guy, just that he's been marginalized, and in this case, he's made a big mistake (see recent posts). I think that the NRLC will carry a lot more weight with most conservatives and Christians than will Pat Robertson's.

It really is too bad that Conservatives still have not found a candidate that they can unify behind, but, as we are still around 2 months out from the primary season, there is still hope.

There for awhile I was pretty sure that I would be voting for Thompson, and while it is still a possibility, I wouldn't call it a certainty at this point. I would say I'd like to see Hunter come a little more center stage, so that I might be able to give him a little more consideration, but I'm also considering Huckabee at this point.

On the more amusing front, I was reading another blog the other day (the blog wasn't amusing at all, it was very serious, and very good) and there was a very serious discussion going on in the comments section. Anyway, the blogger eventually told the person arguing with her that (I'm paraphrasing here) with all of his circular arguments he sounded a lot like Hillary Clinton, and he told her that it was rude to compare him to the next President of the United States. Statements like this always amuse me, on more than one level. First is the obvious that, if you admire the person, why would you be insulted when someone compares you to them? But even more obvious, it's always funny when people pretend that they already know with certainty what the outcome of the election will be, especially while it's still pre-primary! Don't get me wrong, I'm not deluded, I know that Hillary Clinton does have a decent shot at becoming President, but it's downright silly for anyone to pretend that it is a sure thing at this point. Again, don't get me wrong, this is not something that is in any way unique to Hillary Clinton supporters, but it's still silly, and it is just as silly when it is said about a republican as it is when it's said about a democrat.

So, who is the best person for Republicans and Conservatives to unify behind at this point? I'm not sure, does anyone else have an opinion?

No comments: