Hebrews 4:12

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Reflection

I was taking an online survey today and something stuck me that I wanted to share. It asked a lot of general questions about a lot of different things, such as dining out at restaurants, it asked how often do you dine out, and the first choice was "Every Day," and then they went down from there. Then I got down to a section that talked about going to Church (actually I think it said "Religious Services"), and when it asked how often you attend Church, the first choice was "Never." All I could think was that they must have put the answers they thought would be the most popular at the top... I had to scroll down a little to find where it said "Every Week."

Of course, as some of you know, because of work, I'm not able to go every single week, but since I go every week that I am able, I figured that would apply. To me this is a reminder of how important it is that we instill in our Children just how important it is to be in church. Growing up my Dad felt it crucial that we be in church, in his words, "every time the doors are open," which was quite a bit... especially since he had a key! But seriously, in our family, Church never took a backseat to anything, and that is a good way to grow up. Amy and I faced a situation recently in which some friends, Christians and Churchgoers themselves, had a birthday party for their son, and invited us and our kids to go, and they had rented one of those really super fun kid party places for the party... the only problem was that they were having it on a Sunday morning, during Church hours. When Amy saw this Friend she asked if we were going to be there, and Amy told her, of course not, it's during Church, and he friend replied that it was only one Sunday, and Amy told her (and I'm so proud of this) "We don't want to teach our kids that Church is really important UNLESS there is something fun that you think you would rather do."

Always remember Proverbs 22:6 "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."

Of course Church is good for a lot more than just our kids, but they are a very good reason to be faithful to it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good one!!

Love, Mom