Hebrews 4:12

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Monday, April 26, 2010

The ESV MacArthur Study Bible


I am very excited to report that I have learned that the MacArthur Study Bible with the text of the English Standard Version [ESV] will be released on August 31st of 2010.

John MacArthur has been the Senior Pastor of Grace Community Church in Sun Valley, California for over 40 years. He can be heard daily on his radio program, Grace to you (www.gty.org), all over the world. Some years ago now he brought his decades of Bible study, Pastoral Ministry, and all of the books that he has written to The MacArthur Study Bible. Up until now it has been available with the text of the New King James Version or the New American Standard Bible, both of which are excellent. With around 25,000 footnotes explaining virtually every passage of Scripture, The MacArthur Study Bible has been a treasure and a big help to many people.

In 2001 Crossway books introduced the English Standard Version of the Holy Bible. You can read the translation philosophy and some explanation at www.esv.org but in short it is an essentially literal translation of the Bible, highly accurate and trustworthy, yet also readable and accessible to common people.

A couple of years ago (more or less) while listening to the Grace To You radio program I heard John MacArthur say that he was planning to put out the MacArthur Study Bible in ESV, and I was very excited to hear it. Sadly, that was the last I had heard of it until I stumbled across the news on Facebook, of all places, just the other night.

Wonderfully, the excellent text of the English Standard Version is finally meeting up with MacArthur's decades of in depth Bible Study and teaching. This is a must have for all Christians who long to understand the Bible in a deeper way.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I was raised on the KJV my entire life. I wasa kinda bummed to find out that J-Mac didn't have a Study Bible in KJV. I recently bought my first NKJV a few months ago. It's taking some adjusting, but I'm enjoying his notes.