Hebrews 4:12

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A Bedtime Story For The Kids

I'm a loner this week. That is to say, my wife and kids are in Pennsylvania visiting family and I'm still here in Florida by myself. The kids, both mine and my Niece, like for me to tell them bedtime stories that I make up, so, I thought that it might be fun to write one and sent it up to them. So I did. I'm told it was quite a hit, and I thought I'd share it here. I know it's kind of cheesy, but come on, the target audience is between 5 and 9.
***************************************************

Once upon a time in a faraway land there lived a small family on the outskirts of a grand and mighty Kingdom.
The family consisted of a father and mother and a little boy.
Life could be hard for the family, since they didn't own much, and the little boy's feet didn't work quite right.
Shortly after Jacob had been born, one of his feet had been hurt in a terrible accident, leaving him to shuffle, dragging his bad foot behind him, for his entire life.
All three of them worked hard, day in and day out, to earn enough money and grow enough food just so that they could survive.
From the time that Jacob was very young his father would wake him just as the first grey light of morning was beginning to paint the sky.
From his earliest memories, every morning when his father woke him up he would find his mother preparing breakfast.
Breakfast didn't always amount to much, sometimes just a bit of rice, or some fruit they had managed to pick, or, on very special occasions, an egg for them all to share.
Once breakfast was finished, the three of them would spend the day going about their work, pausing briefly for lunch, if there was any to be had.
Work was long and hard, and the pay was meager.
At the end of each day, just after the sun had gone down, they would all return to their home.
Not much more than a hut really, but the four walls were strong, and the roof was solid and well built, it was safe, and it was home.
So meager was their living, that even Sundays could not be complete days of rest, there was still much to be done.
Sunday was very special for a number of reasons, though.
You see, Sunday was the one day when work was not from sun up to sun down.
On Sundays the work was early in the morning, with a long break when they could go to a neighbors house and hear someone read and teach from the Bible.
Then they would go home, finish the chores that needed to be done, and then spend the rest of the day together.
For all the hardship that this life offered, Jacob and his parents were very happy.
They loved each other, and they were always willing to help anyone in need.
They would even share their meager food with someone who was hungry, and none of them ever complained about it.
This is the story of just such an occasion.
It was a Thursday evening, and Jacob was shuffling home with some fruit that was his pay for working in the orchard of a nobleman.
It was late, and the sun was already nearly down, when Jacob heard someone crying.
As he drew near he saw a young lady sitting by the side of the road, looking like she had taken quite a tumble.
Her dress was torn and dirty, but he could tell that it had been a very nice one before whatever had happened to it, and to her.
Jacob carefully bowed his head low toward the ground, showing great respect, as someone of his status in the Kingdom must do.
"My lady," he said softly, "forgive me for approaching you, but it is late and this road may not be safe after dark."
The crying stopped and she looked up at him, after a moment she asked, "who are you."
He raised his head slightly so that he could see her and said, "My name is Jacob, is there some way that I can help you?"
"I have nowhere to go tonight," was her simple reply.
"Well, I don't have much to offer, but I know my parents would never wish for you to sleep out in the woods, if it pleases you, my lady, come with me."
She rose to her feet, and followed him down the dark dirt road to the little hut that his family called home.
Just as Jacob had promised, his parents were warm and inviting, careful always to be respectful, for she seemed that she might be a nobleman's daughter.
They shared what food they had with her at dinner time, and Jacob's mother cleaned her cuts and mended her dress.
She had not told them who she was, or what had happened to her, nor even her name up to this point.
She was surprised by the interest they showed in her, and they love they showed to her, even though they didn't know her.
When it was time for bed, such as that was, Jacob's father asked the young lady, "if I may be so bold, what is your name? So that we may know what to call you."
She smiled, just now realizing that she hadn't been properly introduced, since she wasn't used to having to do that kind of thing herself.
"I am called Abby," was all she said.
This was enough for Jacob and his parents, and living so far from the castle as they did, the connection to Princess Abigail never crossed their minds.
Early the next morning, Abby awoke with the family, shared in the meager breakfast, and then, something she had never dreamed of, she shared in their chores.
For the next few weeks Abby lived and worked with Jacob and his parents, always working hard and doing her fair share.
Finally, one night after dinner, she started speaking.
"As I'm sure you've been able to tell, I come from a life that is much different than yours.
"In my... um... house, there is always plenty of food to eat, and I've never had to work for any of it, or for anything at all.
"All I've ever done is to sit around and look pretty."
Jacob's mother smiled at her and said, "You do that quite well dear, wouldn't you agree Jacob?"
Jacob turned red and started to stammer, not knowing what would be an appropriate reply, although he did agree, wholeheartedly.
Abby went on, "But for all the things that I had, all the food, and all the servants, I never had what I wanted most, I never felt loved.
"I never wanted to be ungrateful for all the things that I had, but I was never happy.
"So I took a horse from the stable went for a ride, something spooked the horse and he threw me, that was when Jacob found me by the side of the road.
"I never knew that there were people living right here in this Kingdom who got by with so little, not knowing from day to day if there will be enough food to eat.
"And I've never worked like this before in my life, or even close to it. But for all that, I want to thank you, I have never been so happy in all my life as I have been since I've been here with you."
Jacob's father smiled and said, "And it's been a joy having you here, Abby, and you are welcome to stay as long as you like, but do you think you're parents might be worried about you?"
"I guess they might be," she replied, "and I guess I need to be getting on home, but I would like to return your hospitality, in the morning, would you be willing to come to my home with me?"
So, in the morning, instead of working the day away, Jacob and his parents followed Abby along the dusty road back toward the center of the Kingdom.
As they walked, on and on and on it seemed, and the Castle kept growing larger in the distance, Jacob's father's curiosity got the better of him.
"Abby, do you live very near the Castle?" He asked.
"Oh yes, very near," was all she said.
The three commoners followed in stunned silence as Abby led them right through the gates and across the castle draw bridge.
When the guard at the inner gate saw her he fell to his knees and to the astonishment of Jacob and his parents he said, "your Highness, we have been worried sick and looking everywhere for you, are you alright?"
Abby smiled and said, "Yes, I'm quite alright, you may rise."
The guard stood up and shouted across the courtyard, "Thomas, tell the captain and inform the King, Princess Abigail has returned, safe and sound!"
Turning to the now very pale and trembling trio she said, "come now, it's quite alright, you are my guests."
That night, the three lowly commoners ate dinner at the King's table, a feast such as they had never imagined possible.
After a few days of being back at the Castle, Princess Abigail requested and audience with her father, the King, which was promptly granted.
She had someone provide Jacob with a new suit of clothes, and made sure he was cleaned up nicely, then took him by the hand and led him into the throne room, before the King.
Before she had a chance to speak the King looked down at Jacob and said, "Young man, I want to thank you and your family, not only for helping my daughter to survive, but also because I have never seen her so happy in all my days."
Jacob bowed low, but was too scared to speak.
Still holding tightly to Jacob's hand Abigail made her startling request... well, it was startling to King's servants and guards, but not to the King.
"Father," She said, "as I am the youngest of your children, I ask that I could be released from the requirement that I must marry a prince."
Jacob, dumbfounded by all of this, had no idea what was going on, so when the King asked him, "Jacob, is that what you want as well?" He didn't know how to respond.
After a moment the King realized that Jacob hadn't put it all together yet and decided to help him out, "Son," he said kindly, "she's asking me to give her permission to marry you."
It took a moment, but as understanding dawned on Jacob he looked at Abby, not quite sure that this was what she had in mind, but she looked into his eyes and nodded her head.
Jacob's heart raced in his chest and suddenly he was barely able to contain his joy, "Yes, your majesty, I would like that very much!"
The King laughed with overflowing joy and said, "Then it is done, we will have a grand wedding, and a grand feast, and you and my daughter, and you're parents will live on the Castle grounds, and enjoy the benefits that come with being royalty."
So it was that a lowly boy from the outskirts of the Kingdom married Princess Abigail.
And Jacob, and his lovely wife Abigail, and Jacob's parents lived happily ever after, not because they now enjoyed a life of riches, but because they understood where true joy and true happiness are to be found.
THE END

No comments: